JFK 50 Miler

July 30th, 2010 - Training - Lowell > Tyngsboro > Lowell - 13.5

Day 210 - With a busy weekend of race timing and packing, for the move to Tewksbury (to be closer to the Fudgicle Series), I had to figure something out for a long run for the week. I currently need to consistently stay at 45 miles per week for the next few weeks before pushing up the mileage. The end goal is to get to about 60-70 per week leading up to the JFK 50.

The only running window ("that must be why they call it window pane") of opportunity that I could see was going to be this morning, before work!

I can't even remember the last time I got up early for a run before work, let alone a long run. I wanted to do 14 so that I would just need about 6 on Saturday to hit 45. A 14 miler meant that I would need to get up by 5:30AM to go through my morning routine (S & S & S), take care of the boys' needs, pack my stuff for work, pack my stuff for race timing, and then spend 20 minutes trying to convince Rachel that running at 6:30AM during morning traffic is a good idea.

I was out the door by 6:21AM (only spent 11 minutes sweet talking Rachel - a new PR).

The only route that I had planned, close to 14, would be from my apt, to my parents' place in Tyngsboro, and back home. Goal pace was going to be about 7:30 for the first half, and whatever I felt like running on the second half, depending on how I felt.

I got to my parents' place 46 minutes later, running a 7:31 pace. I also managed to scare the crap out of my mom who was getting ready for work, and not expecting her favorite son to be banging on her door, pleading to use the bathroom....

After my fuel dump at 6.25, I tucked tail and headed back home.

There's nothing like being late for work to kick your ass into a higher gear. I managed negative splits for every mile heading back home.

I ended up averaging about a sub-7 pace for the 7.25 mile run home to give myself a 7:10 overall average for the 13.5 miles.

And now I still had to drag my late ass to work....

(I love the smell of negative splits in the morning)

No comments:

Post a Comment