JFK 50 Miler

Oct 24th, 2010 - Training - Lowell --> Tyngsboro - 5.5

Day 297 - What a surreal day.

Dave sent me out to time a new 5K in Lowell, and it ended up being the memorial run for the father of a friend who I went to junior high with! It was the 15th anniversary of his passing, so the daughter, who I have unknowingly crossed paths with over the past year at the GT5K series, decided to put on a 5K in his memory.

The race (Jim Martin Memorial 5K) was held at the Mt. Pleasant Country Club in the Highlands of Lowell, the area where I spent a good portion of my youth causing trouble.

Pretty much everybody I went to school with throughout the 7th and 8th grade showed up at the race. I haven't seen or spoken to some of these folks in over 15 years! It was incredible to meet up again after all of this time, and to see how much people have changed.

The event was well attended, and even some GLRR members, like Jimmy Shelton and Dave Tyler, were there to show their support.

My only regret was that I couldn't run the race myself! Maybe next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment