JFK 50 Miler

Jan 17th, 2010 - Training - Chelmsford/Tyngsboro - 10.15

Day 17 - Why do we get up at 7AM to run? So that we can run with early risers like Glenn S., Jimmy R., and John B.

This was going to be the first Sunday morning run, for Fil and I, with the "Gold's Gym" folks. Our original Sunday morning plan was to sleep in. And oh yeah, do a hill workout at a more reasonable hour for a lazy Sunday. Me being me, I agreed to join Glenn & Co. at the morning run the night before without consulting with Fil. Of course, Fil being Fil, couldn't let me gain any more mileage on him, so he came and chaperoned me on the run.

We all met up at Gold's Gym in Chelmsford, and after a quick exchange of greetings we set off on the run. How far? We'll see. How fast? We'll see.

On a side note, it's always nice to meet up with other local runners. I didn't recognize Jimmy at first without the camera in front of his face, but I eventually got use to him being around without snapping a picture of me. Thanks Jimmy for all of the great running pics over the years!

The local historians in the group decided to discuss the local eateries of past and present, just as I was ready to sit down to breakfast. Ummmmm, cold pizza.

We were about 2 miles into our run, going at a nice steady pace (for some) when Jimmy caught sight of a "bunny" and took off after it. He was nearly out of sight about a half mile later. That just left myself, Fil, Glenn, and John in the chase pack. We cruised on through North Chelmsford and Tyngsboro for about another 2 miles at an 8:20 pace. It was around this time that I recalled a nice, short, steep hill near my parent's place that would be perfect for the hill workout that I had originally planned for myself and Fil.

Fil and I departed from Glenn and John's route and started on our hill workout. Glenn and John continued on the "River Run" route and ended up putting in 15.5 miles for the morning! Very nice job guys!

Since it was our first hill workout in forever, and we still had 4.5 miles to look forward to afterwards, Fil and I worked on hill repeats for only 10 minutes. Although it was short, it was an intense workout that will definitely help us at the Boston Prep next Sunday.

We did our cool down by running the 5 miles back to Gold's Gym at a 9 minute clip.

All-in-all, it wasn't a bad way to start off a Sunday morning, and it was only 10AM!? WTF!? Back to bed!

Totals for the day:

10+ miles
5 x .13 hill repeats @ about 6 min pace (for myself); 6:30 pace for Fil
10 times I threw the F bomb running up the hill
34 yawns before 8AM
20 doorbell rings before my parents woke up and answered their door to give us water
0 photos taken by Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment