JFK 50 Miler

March 14th, 2010 - Race - Lowell, MA - 5

Day 73 - Wow. How anti-climatic. I even took a night to sleep on it, to let it all sink in before writing this entry. Still, nothing inspiring comes to mind about the 3rd and final Wild Rover race in Lowell. Must be suffering from Wild Rover withdrawal.

I was hoping for a more "exciting" race in my own backyard, but that was not to be.

The race however did have all of the hallmarks of a race to remember:

- Lowell
- Crazy weather
- 5 miles
- Crazy weather

The race got off at 1PM (my least favorite time for a race now!) with temps in the low 40's, accompanied by a persisent, cold, driving drizzle from every direction.

Forrest Gump describes it best when he said, "One day it started raining, and it didn't quit for four months. We been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stingin' rain... and big ol' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath. Shoot, it even rained at night..."

Here's my artistic rendering of the weather conditions at race time:


I was already drenched by the time Andy gave the RUNNERS GO! command.

This is the part in the story where it gets boring.

A pack of about 8 runners took off and I was in the rear. And that was the race. I can't describe what went on in the front of the pack, but it was pretty uneventful for me in the back of the pack. I stayed in 8th for the entire race, with the closest runners about 30 seconds in front of me and 30 seconds behind me.

The course itself wasn't particulary interesting (maybe because I've ran this route so many times in the past on my training runs). The runners left the middle school area, went down Gorham St, under the Spaghettiville Bridge (the water-filled, five inch deep potholes made it interesting though), up a mini-hill, past a few stores, along the cemetary (St. Patrick's, no less), over 495, down a hill, up a hill, take a sharp V turn right, down a hill, up over 495, past the same cemetary, through the cemetary (well, not actually through), left onto Gorham, and back home to the Hynes.

Yawn.

Yeah, it was definitely because I knew the area so well.

Oh, did I mention that the weather sucked too.

I encountered headwind for most of the run, and of course, it was gusting for the last 1/4th of a mile. A time when you want to leave everything on the course and kick it into overdrive. Not today.

I was however happy with my effort considering the lack of a push and the weather conditions:

Mile 1: 5:48
Mile 2: 5:59
Mile 3: 6:10
Mile 4: 6:05
Mile 5: 6:00

Finished 8th overall, and 2nd in my age group with a time of 30:05 (6:02 pace). That makes it 5 in-a-row for award placement. Another glass to add to the collection.

Great running by those in front and behind me. Amazing effort by all on such a nasty day.

Extra props to Fil for running two point two miles short of a marathon on Saturday (slacker), and then setting a 5 mile PR at the race!

Wild Rover #3 Results

Lowell Sun Article

(Photo Courtesy of The Lowell Sun - 3.16.10)

It was nice to see all of the GLRR singlets out there today. Unfortunately, they were either all drenched or covered up by about three layers of waterproof clothing.

Other notes from the race: Joined the 400 Mile Club, for the year, right as I crossed over the finish line yesterday. Yeah, I planned it that way.

Weather still sucks as I write this entry from my work desk at 4PM on a Monday. Looks like I'll be back on the treadmill night.

Next race will be my first grand prix of the season at the New Bedford half-marathon this coming Sunday. Besides scoring for GLRR, my other goal is to get an NYC Marathon qualifying time of sub 1:23, which would also be a half-marathon PR for me. The qualifying time will count towards NYC 2011.

In honor of myself, here's the very limited edition version of my holographic, 3D, jumbo size GLRR card (with gum):

No comments:

Post a Comment