JFK 50 Miler

July 22nd, 2010 - Training - Chelmsford, MA - 13.1

Day 203 - Half marathon with Fil after work around Chelmsford/Billerica. Temps were in the 80's, and I decided not to bring along any water or money. This was going to be a test of my conditioning and mental focus.

The goal for today was to learn how to block everything out and just focus on the run. This was made doubly hard running with Fil :)

I will need this mental toughness come November.

We started out at my ultra goal pace of about 8:30's for the first 7-8 miles and then picked it up on the home stretch. Knees were bothering me a little about half-way into the run as I was not use to running this "slow". I opened up my stride a bit, but kept the same pace, which corrected the knee issues.

I felt great over the final 5 miles and managed close to 6's for the final two miles. Fil was right behind me by about 3 minutes.

Finished the 13.1 averaging 7:56. Surprising part was that we were able to drop the pace down from about 8:20's with only 2-3 miles left in the run.

A successful training run overall, and hardly any pain in my left foot. I would say that it's at about 85% healed right now. Can't wait to test it out at Yankee next Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment