JFK 50 Miler

August 17th, 2010 - Race - Lowell, MA - 3.1

Day 228 - GT5K Summa' #7 turned into another showdown with my best frenemy, EJ aka Bad Doggy aka Water Buffalo (I want to hear that story).

I tried everything to break him throughout our duel.

- Sprinted down the first mile stretch at a 5:50 pace

- Did my best impersonation of Jazz Hands while trying to toss my coaster into the bin (so close!):

(Don't Ask, Don't Tell)

- Tried to throw him off kilter by following the course as it was intended to be run

- Put up with his breathing

- Sprinted down the VFW stretch for a 5:49 second mile

- Let him catch me at 2.5

- Picked it up for the final mile (5:43!)

- Crossed the finish line in 17:45 with EJ two seconds behind me!

- Another PR for EJ .

Results

Speaking of PR's. Congrats to Mike, Cody, Fil, Deric and the other 46 PR's tonight. Congrats to Dave for making a ton of dough on another record breaking night at the GT5K (261 runners)!

Felt great being able to finish under 18 again at this race! GLRR track is without a doubt the reason for my improvement over the past 2 weeks.

Looks like Cody will be joining me on my Fenway Park Marathon tomorrow evening after work. You'll just have to wait to hear more about this one.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the water buffalo. In a race writeup, I was trying to describe my breathing during a hard 5k effort. Best I could come up with was "a mortally wounded water buffalo drawing his last breath", and I haven't been able to improve on the example yet. Feel free to offer suggestions for a new and improved description. Do try to avoid the Darth Vader thang, it's just too cliche.

    GLRR track is good stuff, but so is the fear of being beaten by a MWWB. I'm here to help. You're welcome.

    And thanks for the second annual "daily" mileage update, those numbers for Jim and Reno are just not right. Keep it rollin' guys, those are some truly impressive numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently, you missed my comment from this posting: http://jbrunningink.blogspot.com/2010/08/august-5th-2010-race-lowell-ma-31.html

    "Phone sex operator" is a lot better than a dying water buffalo...well, I guess it all depends on your preferences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not calling the same phone sex line that I do. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

    I'm really thrilled that I can be your Best Frenemy for now, and saddened that I can't be your Best Frenemy Forevah. Too damned old for that.

    ReplyDelete