JFK 50 Miler

Jan 25th, 2010 - Addendum - 4

Day 25 Part II - Breaking News! Supreme Court Justice Glenn Stewart over-ruled our previous decision, which had certified that our 3 mile pact was still in fact intact (say that one time fast!). This was based on our actions earlier in the day in which Fil and I made a half-hearted attempt to continue our 3 mile streak by cross-training on the stationary bike. Stewart ruled that stationary bikes are for wussies and it does not, and should not, fall under the terms, "In Any Manner". Because Justice Stewart has already logged in 230+ miles for the year, we feared for our lives knowing that he could kick our ass any day of the week. Besides, he was nice enough to post my blog on the GLRR website!! Thanks, Glenn!

Besides, Glenn has a point. Under the current pact terms, we could technically cover the 3 mile minimum in our cars....hmmmm....

Without further ado, here's Part II to Day 25...

Why are there 24 hrs in a day? So people like Fil and I can run while most people are getting ready for bed. Poor Fil. He should be either starting or finishing up his make up run right about now, and it's 11PM! See also OCD.

It all started innocently enough. I got up this morning and my left calf was still sore. The weather was wet and crappy. Fil was still recovering from his head cold. We were both hurting from the Derry 16 Miler. I even took a mental health day to get some stuff done and to put in a workout with Fil at lunch time at a nice leisurely pace.

I got to the gym and we decided to do some cross-training to get in our 3 miles. I mean our pact does say, IN ANY MANNER! I did 3 miles on the bike, Fil did 4+. Then he did 1.5 on the treadmill, and I did 1. On some planet, that must be the equiavalent of 3 running miles, right? WRONG! On Planet Stewart, that's the equivalent of 1.5 miles and 1 mile! In other words, bikes are for wussies! There's no biking in running!

We did our workout and I went home to enjoy the rest of the day. I was in such a good mood that I wrote up the blog entry nice and early for all to enjoy. It was when I got to the GLRR meeting at 7:30 that Glenn made his ruling. Thanks for kicking my butt and calling me out, Glenn:) You don't need a VP to kick butt, you do that well enough on your own!

So, after downing a beer, a slice of pizza, and a handful of stale popcorn, I went home, put on my running gear and headed back out the door. To hell with a strained calf muscle! To hell with running in the dark, through the streets of Lowell! To hell with hell! I was going to legitimately keep the streak alive, even if it meant me laying face down in a dirty ditch.

It was a gorgeous night for a run: 55 degrees with a cool breeze. I was wearing shorts in the middle of the night in the middle of winter! It felt so good that I decided to dedicate this run to the Good Times Series. I ran most of my add on miles along the 5k course.

Twenty-two minutes later, I finished the evening off with a total of 3 miles, and 4 total for the entire day (7 if you're from Planet Biking Should Count as Running Miles). The good news, both of my calves feel the same now. The bad news, my right calf hurts just as much as my left calf!

Oh, what about Fil? He reffed a game up in Milford, NH and left there around 9:30PM. That's when he got wind of the landmark ruling by Justice Stewart. Fil is not keen on running outside in the middle of the night, in the middle of NH (He only does that for 200 mile relays). So what did he do? He drove 35 minutes from Milford to his work's gym in Chelmsford to get in his 3+ miles! It's now 11:30 PM and he's finally in the showers after putting in 3.25 miles. That my friend is good old fashioned OCD in action! Good luck getting to bed before 2AM, buddy!:)

Well, it's 12AM here and it's officially Day 26, so I'll shut up until I write again in about 23 hrs from Gotham City!!

Interesting Fact: Guiness Records just notified me that I have set the world record for having the most useless links in a running blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment