JFK 50 Miler

June 25th, 2010 - Training - Lowell State Forest - 4

Day 176 - Back into the woods we went. Teddy, Scooter, and my new Kenyan roommate, Festus went back out to the Lowell State Forest. Goal was to try to run 7's on the trails for about 4 miles, but I knew that that would be almost impossible given the terrain. It doesn't hurt to give it a shot though. Or does it?

I mapped out the best course for a run like this and we stayed on the pavement for as long as possible before heading onto less technical trails in order to keep our pace as fast as possible.

We went through the first 2 miles at about 7:30 pace, which is pretty good for this area, before coming to a dead end in one of the trails. We turned back around and was able to bring the pace down below 7:30. This could be possible!

Festus, still getting back into running shape (currently in rugby shape and nursing a sore leg), dropped back a bit as I turned onto another trail to add some more distance to the run. Festus continued back to the start on the out-and-back loop. Teddy, Scooter, and I discovered some me new trails and subsequently got a little lost, slowing down our pace to about 7:40 by the time we were ready to head back to the start.

I had to switch on the Garmin map function in order to find our way back to the start. We eventually did, but not without suffering some knee scrapes on the overgrown brush.

We got back to the start just as Festus was finishing from the other direction. I continued on for another half mile to get in exactly 4 for the run.

Another good run with my amigos. Followed that up with a nice night out with Rachel and Festus at the Mambo Grill in Lowell. Merrimack St is really turning into a happening place on a warm evening!

There definitely is a lot to like about my hometown of Lowell! Keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment