JFK 50 Miler

June 8th, 2010 - Race - Lowell, MA - 3.1

Day 159 - There's one thing that I learned tonight: The people in the back of the pack work just as hard as those in front of them. It was inspiring to be running with these folks tonight.

Tonight was the final race in the Good Times Spring series, which typically marks the end of spring and the beginning of summer. This year is just flying by!

I ran with Scooter for this final race (his first 5K road race) A) to see if he could repeat his performance from Maine B) to take it easy and rest up for the Hollis Fast 5K on Thursday where I plan to set a 5K PR that I won't be able to break for at least another year.

Scooter and I started in the back of the pack and made little progress throughout the race. Too many other runners, and too little room to maneuver. It took us a little over 30 minutes to complete the course at about a 9:30 pace, finishing 204th overall out of 265 (another record turn out)! Scooter should be able to break that PR in the future.

We actually could have finished under 30 minutes if *somebody* didn't pull a Mile 14 on me, at Mile 2!

During the run, I discovered that Scooter is very skiddish when it comes to cars whizzing by on the VFW, especially motorcycles. Something about getting hit by them that scares the crap out of him. Scooter is definitely a trail racing dog. He was definitely not his usual speedster self tonight, but did manage to pick up some speed on the quieter sections of the course.

I will have to give Teddy a try out during the summer series to see how he does on the road, but the fat-ass needs to lose a little weight first.

(Don't let the worker bee costume fool you)

I had a blast running with some of the people I know, but never get a chance to see during the race itself. It was also pretty cool to see the stream of people ahead of me, crossing the bridge and going down the VFW. I still can't believe the number of people that run this race on a weekly basis!

Overall, it was an awesome race and series. Made some new friends, and probably made some more enemies.

Congratulations to all of the runners that ran, and all of those that won an award this season. I collected my 1st Place Age Group award, along with another Golden Miley, at the usual kick-ass post-race party.

Nice job by Joe Donnelly (he's still getting faster, holy sh!t) and Liane Pancoast for taking the overall prize!


Looking forward to the summer series and setting some more Good Times PR's!

Bring it on, Festus!


No comments:

Post a Comment