JFK 50 Miler

Nov 1st, 2010 - Training - Tewksbury, MA - 3.1

Day 305 - I would say that I'm physically prepared to take on 50 miles. I've trained for 305 days in-a-row, logged more than 1700 miles with an overall average pace of 7:25. I've competed in 63 races at every distance and terrain imaginable, and managed to suffer only one major injury that nearly ended it all. Not bad.

How am I mentally? Depends on who you ask.

They say that the last six miles of a marathon is all mental. So does this mean that the last 30 of a 50 miler is the same? Gulp.

To prepare myself mentally, I'm going to jump on the treadmill every day this week and see if I don't go insane. I'll slowly build up my suicide tolerance and try for a 20 miler on the treadmill this Friday evening. I figure if I can do 20 on a treadmill, then what's another 30 on a towpath that never freakin' ends.

I read somewhere that Charles Manson liked running on treadmills. How bad can it be?

(urge to kill....rising)

2 comments:

  1. Should I be worried that I'm running with you Saturday and therefore your urge to kill might be at its highest point?! I gots to make it to JFK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, I'm friendly crazy like Dexter.

    ReplyDelete